The Colonie Art League was founded in 1974 by a group of area artists to further the advancement of visual arts. The Colonie Art League currently has a membership of close to 175 artists working in a wide variety of two-dimensional media.
The purpose of the Colonie Art League is to:
- Increase public awareness of original art produced in the Capital District
- Enrich the cultural life of our region
- Encourage the appreciation of art in the community
- Provide educational programs for artists
- Provide opportunities for local exhibitions of original art
- Promote art as a career pathway for area high school students
The League actively supports its goals by:
- Arranging art exhibits in public places.
- Raising money to provide funding for high school graduate scholarships, prizes, and awards.
- Providing demonstrations and workshops with nationally known artists as instructors to further the education and experience for members.
- At monthly meetings, encouraging a forum for artists to interact and exchange ideas, materials and information openly.